Forgot your password?

We just sent you an email, containing instructions for how to reset your password.

Sign in

  • So my first gig was at the Whiskey a go go. So it’s the day of the gig, and I’m getting my gear together and loading it into the bus, as the 50+ people that decided to go to my first gig load onto the bus (It was a school bus). All is loaded and no one is left behind. We cast off from the house and begin our adventure.


    We’re all crusin’ along when…… Traffic… We hit traffic. Probably the worst thing ever (well, not the worst thing…) So we’re sitting in inch-worm traffic, my mom is at the front of the bus, stressing out. I’m doing the same thing in the back. “Oh my god, we’re gonna be late!” Exclaims my mother from the front. I try not to stress too much, so I just put my head down and try and sleep through the stress. I hear my mother give the bus driver another route to take to avoid the traffic. He takes it and we get back on schedule.

    A couple hours later, after the long haul north, we’re about 45-30 minutes away from the venue. When all of the sudden, I feel the bus make a very noticeable reduction in speed, swerve to the right, then to the left. People in the bus start to scream. My head shoots up from below the seats (I was sleeping), and I look around frantically looking for the cause of the screaming and swerving. Off to the side of the bus, I see a white pickup truck… on its roof…. sliding the same way as us. It had clipped another car, and overturned. The car that was clipped launched into the wall on the opposite side. We were the only vehicle that avoided the accident, everyone else got stuck behind them.


    We get off of the freeway and the GPS on our phone says we’re about 30 minutes away. When we heard that, everyone on the bus got quiet and focused. We were really threading the needle with this.

    20 Min…. 15…..10 MINUTES TILL SHOWTIME.

    At 6:54pm, we roll up with everyone in the bus, sticking their heads out the windows and screaming like maniacs at the people lined up at the door. We pull up right in front, I jump off the bus. I grab my gear and run up to the door. I see my band mates standing there, all very relieved to see me there. We run inside, set up, sound check, and were off! We start playing as the room fills up with a crowd.

    After the show, I watch and study how the following bands take the stage after me. One of which, completely blows us out of the water with the performance and sound. I watch closely, noting what I need to do, to become an even better performer.

    From then on, I’ve decided to never put on a bad show, to the best of my ability. Always be overly energetic and as crazy as possible. Interact with the audience. And most importantly, NEVER BE LATE.
    • Share

    Connected stories:


Collections let you gather your favorite stories into shareable groups.

To collect stories, please become a Citizen.

    Copy and paste this embed code into your web page:

    px wide
    px tall
    Send this story to a friend:
    Would you like to send another?

      To retell stories, please .

        Sprouting stories lets you respond with a story of your own — like telling stories ’round a campfire.

        To sprout stories, please .

            Better browser, please.

            To view Cowbird, please use the latest version of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, or Internet Explorer.