Forgot your password?

We just sent you an email, containing instructions for how to reset your password.

Sign in

  • I heard my leg break before I hit the sand. I had seen two men walking in the park earlier but no matter how I screamed they could not hear me with the wind and the waves crashing. I laid there in the wet sand for a few minutes trying to figure out how I would get my self out of this predicament. In the meantime my dog continues to body slam me and run circles around me, throwing wet sand in my face. She’s 5 months old now and she knows something is wrong but all she can do is try to make me laugh by clowning around. I’m in trouble now and I go into survival mode. No time for crying.

    I try to reach for my cell phone and my puppy keeps making me drop it in the sand. I attempt a call to my husband but cell service on the island is pretty bad. I manage to reach him eventually and he can’t understand me, I’m breaking up. He hears struggling and I then I SCREAM!!! He gets the message. My husband knows where I walk the dog but it takes 45 minutes to find me. I lay there on the water’s edge in the dead of winter. He finds me because he sees my dog running circles in the sand. By now I’m freezing, wet and in terrible pain.

    When he sees me he looks stunned. I’m pale, covered in sand, my hair is a mess and my foot looks deformed in my boot. He wants to pick me up and carry me. I refuse to be carried and make the break worse. I know I’m broken. I’m shivering uncontrollably, the two men that I had seen on the beach showed up about this time and try to help. My dog is taken to the truck to keep her off of me and safe. Finally, someone calls for an ambulance. Rescuing me off the beach was not easy. I was given pain medication and my leg stabilized. I could hear my dog whining in the truck, worried. The EMT’s had to carry from the water's edge at low tide and over fallen logs to get me to the ambulance. We are lucky to have emergency volunteers on the island. Normally, I would have been flown off the island by helicopter but it was too foggy. It was not my day! I was given more pain medication and loaded into our car. Then, the ferryboat was held up to put us at the front of the ferry boat and take to the mainland where closest hospital would be awaiting my arrival. It would be a very long day and it was a spiral fracture. I survived!

    Photo #1 Rescue 2011 - Feeling helpless my husband took a picture of me being rescued. Taken with my cellphone found on the beach.
    Photo #2 - 2011 Guilty dog comforting me.
  • I have forgiven my four-legged friend. We continue our walks on the beach and she still makes me laugh. She occasionally tries to body slam me but I use a single pod with my camera on it to keep her off of me.

    Photo #3 - Happy Dog back on the beach!
    • Share

    Connected stories:


Collections let you gather your favorite stories into shareable groups.

To collect stories, please become a Citizen.

    Copy and paste this embed code into your web page:

    px wide
    px tall
    Send this story to a friend:
    Would you like to send another?

      To retell stories, please .

        Sprouting stories lets you respond with a story of your own — like telling stories ’round a campfire.

        To sprout stories, please .

            Better browser, please.

            To view Cowbird, please use the latest version of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, or Internet Explorer.