Forgot your password?

We just sent you an email, containing instructions for how to reset your password.

Sign in

  • Over the past couple of years, whenever we travel away from home, major weather events seem to happen at home. Likewise, places we have traveled to tend to have major weather events after we've been there. This time, both events have happened. Consequently, instead of being ready to board a plane at LAX bound for Denver, and then home, here we sit in Disneyland, at the Paradise Pier Hotel, where we will be "stranded" for the next 3 days. Crazy how these things happen.

    We started hearing reports about "Frankenstorm" a couple days ago, as we steamed across the Pacific from Hawaii. By yesterday, all signs began to look like we would be lucky if we got back into D.C. as planned, today. Our flight wasn't scheduled to get in until 12:30 a.m., late tonight. Right about when the 60 -70 mph winds are scheduled to arrive in our area. Checking our flights this morning, they were already delaying our connecting flight from Denver. The more it got delayed, the less chance we were going to make it there at all. Monday and Tuesday are supposed to be a complete weather mess in the entire area.

    So, instead of rolling the dice and most likely winding up stranded somewhere in the middle of the country for the next few days, we decided to control our own destinies. We rescheduled our flight to Wednesday, when we could get a guaranteed seat on the same flights we were going to take today. We found a room in Disneyland that was affordable with our Vacation Club points. So, due to conditions beyond our control, but applying the limited level of control we had at our disposal, we extended our vacation 3 days and find ourselves "stranded" in Disneyland, where it is 82 degrees, sunny and nary a cloud in the sky.

    This also affords us the opportunity to spend a little more time with J.B., who lives about 40 minutes from here. Another unexpected bonus.

    Oh yeah, did I mention that a tsunami is supposed to have struck Hawaii, right where we were ported a few days ago on Oahu? The weather was perfect while we were there.

    All I know is, I'm glad I'm not flying into an unknown fate at this moment, and get to relax an extra couple of days, and to see my son again. Meanwhile, back home our neighbors are forging a plan to keep us from ever travelling away from the area again, as they hunker down for the coming "Frankenstorm".
    • Share

    Connected stories:


Collections let you gather your favorite stories into shareable groups.

To collect stories, please become a Citizen.

    Copy and paste this embed code into your web page:

    px wide
    px tall
    Send this story to a friend:
    Would you like to send another?

      To retell stories, please .

        Sprouting stories lets you respond with a story of your own — like telling stories ’round a campfire.

        To sprout stories, please .

            Better browser, please.

            To view Cowbird, please use the latest version of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, or Internet Explorer.