This baby's rattle, and an old Cats Whisker radio are probably the oldest possessions I have. The cats whisker radio was my fathers and I guess it dates back to the 1950's, but other than baby clothes, this rattle was the first tangible thing that I could call mine. It must have been shaken, rattled and gummed many, many times, but it has, like me, survived for over 50 years.
I have many photographs, and many memories, but this is the one, physical thing that links me back to the day of my birth, to my parents, and the love my parents gave me.
My birth was not a news event, I don't even know if I got a mention in the Births column of the local paper, but there many world events that happened that year.
* Queen Elizabeth II was and still is Queen and she gave birth to Prince Andrew, HRH Duke of York
* Senator John F Kennedy announced his candidacy for the US Presidency
* The 8th Winter Olympic games open in Squaw Valley, Colorado
* Elvis Presley completed his 2 year's service in the US Army
* Harold Macmillan was the British Prime Minister
* The first Traffic Wardens were deployed in London
* The Beatles performed their first concert in Hamburg
* The Farthing ceased to be legal tender
* The Great Chilean Earthquake, the most powerful ever recorded, reached 9.5 on the Richter Scale, and killed up to 6,000 people
* The Motown Record Corporation was founded. Their first Top Ten hit was Shop Around by The Miracles
* Psycho, by Alfred Hitchcock was released
The year I came into this world was 1960.