Forgot your password?

We just sent you an email, containing instructions for how to reset your password.

Sign in

  • THE REALCARE PEOPLE is my social cause that kick-started my business, ÉVOLUÉ. And my life changed, again.

    To fund its visions I thought I’d do the same as per my job in Melbourne (Australia) - Expats relocation and property styling, right in time for our new tourists’ influx. But I was limited in resource and didn’t manage to get it running due to resistant market sentiments and a lack of capital sustenance. It has since been more than a year without any monetary returns yet incurring more debts and facing countless hurdles to the point of believing that I am jinxed to be a magnet for disaster.

    i had many potential clients coming from all types of field, from the creative to the educational, and sustainable industries, as well as all sorts of other trade. The only thing is of all, 90% are expatriates. The remaining 10% is mostly made up of a very innovative and dedicated clean tech inventor, a Singaporean. Just that he can’t seem to get the appropriate funding. If you’re reading and you’re local (Singaporean), I’m quite certain an angel investor sounds alien.

    Well the world has loads of them, except they congregate more in the western parts of the world. If you wanted to open a cake shop and had no money, all you need to do is to dare to ask because it is common. But this actually puts us in a situation, because as a country this aligned to global agendas and being a 1stst world brand name, it seems impossible that most of us do not know what sustainable living it.

    This gets infuriating, because you are unable to get adequate funding, and potential business partners are far away, and those who offer a helping hand are up west as well. How do I tell them what is really happening here and expect them to believe?

    I've broken down in tears a couple of times. Help is there for my taking, yet I have no way to communicate to them my justification for what I will ask.


    Then there were times when I turned away from earning money. My actions seem to contradict my agenda.

    The two banks where I put my money at, one local and one foreign said I was not eligible being less than a year in business. I was rejected not at all due to bad credit records, but they had no idea what a social enterprise was, much less a sustainability entrepreneurship, and I didn't fit their one year in business eligibility criteria.

    Later I found out that the foreign bank lied about my loan application submission anyway and the local one was not only unreliable because I was never sure to get to her and she choose to ignore my banking queries. So I decided that I only have two choices, to quit my business or max out my credit. I will definitely pay, just not yet. And I knew the bank can wait.

    Am I being irresponsible to disregard consequences? Did I not know the legal repercussions of financial liabilities? Once a mortgage banker, the idea of owing even a cent to the bank scares me and since I had my credit card 10 years ago, I’d been a model customer, paying my bills on time. I knew better than to be at a bad credit standing leading to potential of a loan refusal when I buy my own property someday.

    If I ever intend to that is.

    I am not out of my mind to ignore that but I know it is a chance I have to take. What I owe are bills I chalked on my credit card because I didn’t know what alternatives to take except utilize that for business purposes.

    Adding to these, I needed money to pay for rent. I was given an ultimatum to move out when I was planning my business start-up, by my family... All because I chose to keep an abandoned kitten.

    But I know I made the right choice by keeping him, no matter how much I had to put through. Everyday I look at him and I am absolutely grateful that I can keep at least one cat off the streets. And it drives me on to make sure I give him a good home. Soon.
    • Share

    Connected stories:

About

Collections let you gather your favorite stories into shareable groups.

To collect stories, please become a Citizen.

    Copy and paste this embed code into your web page:

    px wide
    px tall
    Send this story to a friend:
    Would you like to send another?

      To retell stories, please .

        Sprouting stories lets you respond with a story of your own — like telling stories ’round a campfire.

        To sprout stories, please .

            Better browser, please.

            To view Cowbird, please use the latest version of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, or Internet Explorer.