Forgot your password?

We just sent you an email, containing instructions for how to reset your password.

Sign in

  • Background

    Tids is an ancient cat who is a feisty being who has been quite poorly for the past six months. She has been diagnosed as being diabetic she is now stable on her insulin and has put on weight and is feeling good

    It all began on a lovely spring day...

    Tids had eaten her breakfast of fish and had sauntered out the garden, she had her pre-injection snack and then had settle to sleep on the settee.

    I was pottering in the kitchen and then at 7.30 got her injection ready to give her. She was not on the settee. I went upstairs expecting her to be on her cushion or in the linen cupboard, No! not there in her usual places. I search all her hiding from Pops spots, not in any of them. I had been putting out the bins at the front so I went out to call her there no response - why did so many of my neighbours have to be outside when I was looking so scruffy and wearing Nordic slippers?

    There was no sign of Tids. I hung out of the upstairs window and called her and scanned the gardens. She could not be seen. Then when I went back out into the garden and spotted her next door. Tids had not gone over the wall for over six months. If she had her injection I would have been pleased but I was panicking. By this time it was 8.30 and I was worried about her glucose levels

    I knocked on next door and explained to my neighbour the problem and we went out into her garden. My neighbour gloomily said

    "Cats often go off to die on their own."

    I ignored this comment, Pat is a Jonah!

    I went to catch Tids but she promptly scrambled over the wall into the next garden. Oh sigh! Back indoors I phoned the vets - who reassured me that she would not go into a diabetic coma.

    Off to the Coop to buy a chicken - Tids would eat a whole chicken to herself. Into the oven it went. Meanwhile Poor Pops had been shut in so that she did not frighten Tids off. As the chicken cooked Tids appeared on the roof shed of the third house along. She was calling to me but not coming back in.

    At 10.30 the chicken was cooked and I took a bowl of it out into the garden. It was hot and the smell wafted across the gardens. and Tids started to move to the edge of the shed to get down. She was not sure which way to get down but eventually the lure of chicken made her brave enough to scramble down and then up onto my wall, climbed the trellis and was back home tucking in to chicken and then settled for a doze in the linen cupboard.

    Tids had gone over the wall for the first time since April last year. Just wait for your injection next time Tids!

    • Share

    Connected stories:


Collections let you gather your favorite stories into shareable groups.

To collect stories, please become a Citizen.

    Copy and paste this embed code into your web page:

    px wide
    px tall
    Send this story to a friend:
    Would you like to send another?

      To retell stories, please .

        Sprouting stories lets you respond with a story of your own — like telling stories ’round a campfire.

        To sprout stories, please .

            Better browser, please.

            To view Cowbird, please use the latest version of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, or Internet Explorer.