Forgot your password?

We just sent you an email, containing instructions for how to reset your password.

Sign in

  • The winter storm was hours away from making its descent. According to The Weather Channel, winter storm Jonas was supposed to leave two or three feet of snow. With this in mind, my brother and I sluggishly entered the car and began our drive home from campus. We had spent the previous night consuming disgusting amounts of alcohol with no regard for the hangover we would eventually endure. I fought back nausea and a throbbing headache as I drove. My main concern was to get home before the snow began to fall. The hangover would soon be a distant memory as events would soon occur that would change my day.

    We were fifteen minutes from home and had arrived at the portion of the trip where the roads are full of twists, turns, and surrounded by trees. As I looked further up the road, something caught my attention. A large dog had run out of the woods and sat down in the middle of the road. I woke my brother, turned on my hazard lights, and pulled over to the side of the road. Before we could get out of the car, a van in the opposite lane, coming toward us, could be seen barreling its way toward the dog. The driver had plenty of time to react and slow down but this never happened. I slammed on the horn as my brother and I looked on in horror. Despite these efforts, the van continued to speed towards the dog. My brother and I braced for what we were about to witness. The van swerved at the very last second and narrowly missed the dog. As if nothing had ever happened, the van kept going and the dog was still sitting in the middle of the road. My brother got out of the car and quickly corralled the dog into our vehicle. The dog looked like a mop without the stick attached. It was dark gray and must have weighed 80 pounds.

    There was a collar on the dog but no tag. In addition, there were no homes nearby. I started up the car and began to head home. My brother called various veterinarian locations and the local dog pound. Each call came with no results. We arrived home and the snow had begun to fall. My brother explained to my parents what had happened, and I immediately went to my room to make signs. I drove around the area and stapled signs to poles. Soon the roads became unsafe. I had to head home. The dog would have to spend the night – and stay with us throughout the storm, which was predicted to last several days. The dog was very friendly but would not stop peeing in the house. Gold puddles littered the kitchen floor. I used the Dog Time website to identify the dog as a Labradoodle.

    Three feet of snow and many messes later, I was outside with the dog and my phone was ringing inside the house. My dad picked up my phone and was delighted to hear that it was the owner. He had seen one of the signs I had posted and was on his way to pick up the dog. He said he would have no trouble traveling in the snow because he had a pickup truck and a plow. The dog seemed ecstatic and could not stop jumping up and down when the owner finally arrived. He thanked us and also plowed our very long driveway for free. My brother and I would’ve had to shovel the whole driveway if not for that. I’m not a full believer into the idea of karma, however, this situation showed an instance where it was in full effect.
    • Share

    Connected stories:


Collections let you gather your favorite stories into shareable groups.

To collect stories, please become a Citizen.

    Copy and paste this embed code into your web page:

    px wide
    px tall
    Send this story to a friend:
    Would you like to send another?

      To retell stories, please .

        Sprouting stories lets you respond with a story of your own — like telling stories ’round a campfire.

        To sprout stories, please .

            Better browser, please.

            To view Cowbird, please use the latest version of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, or Internet Explorer.